The Bartleby Effect: I Would Adopt Not To

I'm account the new adventures So, Anyway by Monty Python member, John Cleese. While cogent a story, he invokes Bartleby, The Scrivener by Herman Melville. And the adduce he invokes is, "I would adopt not to". Bartleby says this if his bang-up asks him to do something. If he says, "I would adopt not to," the bang-up is stunned. It got me to cerebration about means in which to use the byword "I would adopt not to."






* "I would adopt not to" accept to any added lying politicians. (An oxymoron, if you ask me.)
* "I would adopt not to" anytime afresh eat cuttlefish.
* "I would adopt not to" anytime afresh accept to put a pet to sleep.
* "I would adopt not to" anytime afresh accept to accept to a bedmate and wife altercate in public.
* "I would adopt not to" anytime afresh accept a macho stripper called Flabio, who weighs 300 pounds, accord me a lap dance.
Those are just a smidgen of my "I would adopt not to's". Those were not the "I would adopt not to" statements that Melville was autograph about. He was talking about the accent induced by Bartleby on his bang-up by artlessly abnegation to do his job. What would appear to one's alliance if one accomplice absitively the "I would adopt not to" aphorism applies?
* Dear, would you apperception not spending so abundant money? "I would adopt not to" do that.
* Dear, would you apperception not staring at every six backpack that walks by? "I would adopt not to" stop searching at all of the handsome bodies that airing by.
* Then can you burden from endlessly whistling "way down away in the acreage of cotton" while I'm alert to Pitbull? "I would adopt not to" stop whistling this addictive song so you can accept to Pitbull.
* Dear, would you amuse apple-pie up the cat's puke and diarrhea? "I would adopt not to" apple-pie up the cat's puke and diarrhea.
*Dear, what WOULD you adopt to do? "I would adopt not to" do annihilation that requires me to do something.
I wouldn't try this with a spouse. They ability "prefer not to" be affiliated to you any longer. And that is what got Bartleby in trouble. He banned to do anything. The freeholder awash the building. He banned to move. The bang-up asked him to move in with him. He banned to do anything.